LETTER FROM THE SECRETARIAT-GENERAL OF THE PATRIARCHATE OF JERUSALEM TO ANT1 TV STATION REGARDING MR. ALIKAKOS’ PUBLISHED BOOK
Protoc. No: 133
Regarding the issue that arose from the forthcoming publication by Ekkremes Publications of a book by the journalist Dimitris Alikakos with the title “Redemption – About the Holy Light”, we state the following;
- The writer visited the Patriarchate of Jerusalem and met with its executives initially to meet his spiritual needs and then as part of a survey of the history of our Patriarchate.
- Any videotaped interviews he claims to have at his disposal took place illegally, without the knowledge of his interlocutors, and of course without the necessary consent.
- From the videos that have been seen, fraudulent stitching (editing) is evident, in order to extract the “desired” effect, an act which apart from being morally reprehensible, is also criminally verifiable.
- All necessary legal action towards Google has already been launched in order to remove the videos in question from the internet as tampering, containing misleading and defamatory content, and defying people and Truths of our Faith. In any case, we expressly reserve our generally legitimate right to the necessary legal actions that will take place de facto.
- What is written in the book in question is a product of fantastic inventive stories of the author with the obvious aim of triggering the believers and gaining economic benefits from the sales of the book. The choice of circulation of the book in question at the given time, amidst the Holy and Great Lent and as our Church is heading towards the Holy Pascha, proves beyond any doubt the deepest motives of the author and the publishing house.
- The official position of the Patriarchate of Jerusalem for the Service of the Holy Light is that which is included in the program of the Holy Saturday of each year, at the Website of the Patriarchate, in the studies of the Hagiotaphite Fathers and especially of the late Hagiotaphite Kallistos Miliaras in the “Nea Sion” Journal and to what is deducted from the Holy Bible and the Fathers of the Church.
Jerusalem, 18 March 2019,
Archbishop of Constantina