THE FEAST OF STS PETER AND PAUL, HEADS OF THE APOSTLES
On Sunday, the 29th of June/12th of July 2015, the feast of the glorious Heads of the Apostles, Sts Peter and Paul, was celebrated at the Church dedicated to them in Capernaum, on the north-western shores of the Tiberian Sea.
This magnificent church stands on land owned by the Patriarchate and has been dated to the time of the Lord according to excavations. First built in 1933 by Patriarch Damian of Jerusalem, it was then renovated and decorated by the current Abbot, Monk Irinarchos, with a fine Byzantine painting, and now consists one of the area’s landmarks that invites the admiration of visitors and pilgrims.
The Divine Liturgy was led by Patriarch Theophilos. Co-officiating were: Metropolitan Kyriakos of Nazareth, Archbishop Damascene of Joppa, Archbishop Aristarchos of Constantina, the Hegoumen in Fhes, Archimandrite Ieronymos, Arabic-speaking presbyters, Archdeacon Evlogios and Deacon Dionysios. Archimandrite Aristovoulos sang in Greek, Russian and Arabic for a pious congregation of Greek Orthodox Arabic-speaking faithful from Patriarchal parishes in the regions of Galilee and Accra, and pilgrims from Greece and Russia.
To the pious congregation, the Patriarch preached the Word of God.
Then, several among the faithful participated in the Sacrament of the Holy Communion, whilst on the conclusion of the service, they all received consecrated bread, the antidoron, asking for His Beatitude’s blessing.
After the Divine Liturgy, a reception took place at the Hegoumen’s Quarters, with nuts, cakes and refreshments. At noon, Monk Irinarchos hosted guests to lunch with fish from the Tiberian Sea.
From the Secretariat-General