THE FEAST OF ST GEORGE THE GREAT MARTYR OBSERVED AT THE ROMANIAN CHURCH OF JERUSALEM AND IN THE OLD CITY
A. At the Romanian Church
On Wednesday, the 23rd of April/6th of May 2015, the feast of St George the Great Martyr was celebrated at the church dedicated to him, of the Romanian Church in Jerusalem, which lies in the Mandel Baum region of West Jerusalem. Until 1967, the region was a buffer zone and a crossing point between Jordan and Israel.
On the invitation of the Romanian Patriarch, Daniel, Patriarch Theophilos officiated at the feast. Co-officiating were Metropolitan Isychios of Kapitolias, Bishop Andreas of the Patriarchate of Romania, and Archbishop Aristarchos of Constantina; Archimandrite Theophilos, head of the Romanian Representation in Jerusalem; Archimandrite Domitian of the Russian Mission in Jerusalem; Archdeacon Evlogios, deacon Markos and other Hierodeacons. Archimandrite Aristovoulos sang with the Romanian Choir in the presence of Ms Andrea Pastarnac, Romania’s Ambassador to Israel, and several faithful from Romania and Israel.
During Communion, Patriarch Theophilos preached the Word of God in English, see link: https://en.jerusalem-patriarchate.info/2015/05/06/14259
On the conclusion of the Divine Liturgy, f. Theophilos thanked His Beatitude for the honour bestowed upon him and offered Him a beautiful icon of Theotokos, whilst Archimandrite Theophilos offered the Patriarch a liturgical silver-gilt Gospel book.
His Beatitude extended thanks for the divine Liturgy and Eucharist, which demonstrated once more the unity amongst Orthodox brothers of our Churches, and offered Archimandrite Theophilos an icon intended for Patriarch Daniel of Romania.
The divine Liturgy was followed by a reception and lunch attended by Romania’s Consul-General to Israel, Mr Adrian Adam
B. In the Old City of Jerusalem
The feast of St George was also observed in the Old City of Jerusalem through Vespers and a celebratory Prelatic Liturgy:
1. In St George Monastery, also known as “St George of the Hospital”, as during the prelacy of Patriarch Chrysanthos (1707-1731) the Patriarchate maintained a hospital within the Monastery’s enclosure.
Vespers and the Divine Liturgy were led by Archbishop Demetrios of Lydda, in the presence of a pious congregation of nuns and Greek-speaking, Russian-speaking, and Romanian-speaking faithful, hosted to a reception by Abbess Pansemni.
2. In the Monastery of St George “of the Jewish” which lies at the centre of the Jewish quarter of Jerusalem, near the Gate of Sion.
Vespers and the divine Liturgy were led by Archbishop Theophanes of Gerassa. Mr Balagiorgos and Ms Kritikou, teachers of Byzantine Music and researchers at the Patriarchate’s library, sang during mass.
The pious congregation was hosted to a reception by Abbess Anna, devoted to renovating the Monastery at the subvention of Greek and mostly Cypriot benefactors.
From the Secretariat-General