THE FEAST OF THE EXALTATION OF THE HOLY CROSS AT THE HOLY MONASTERY OF THE CROSS
On Sunday, the 15th/28th of September 2014, the Sunday after the Exaltation of the Holy Cross, the feast of the Exaltation of the Holy Cross was celebrated by the Patriarchate at the Holy Monastery of the Cross, which lies in West Jerusalem, near the Jewish Parliament.
The Monastery is located on the site where Lot had planted the wood from which the cross was made on which our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified for us.
Between 1845-1909, the Supreme Theological School of the Cross ran at this historical Monastery, offering the Church numerous and distinguished theologians and authors, both clerics and laymen.
Here, the Divine Liturgy was officiated by His Eminence Demetrios, Archbishop of Lydda. Co-officiating were Hagiotaphite Hieromonks and deacons. Faithful hailing from Jerusalem as well as pilgrims participated in piety. After Communion, the Venerable Cross was raised to the four points of the horizon and on the site where the tree for the Cross was planted by Lot.
The ceremony was followed by the sanctification of the faithful with the Venerable Wood, the apolysis, and a festive reception in the forecourt of the Monastery.
At noon, the Hegoumen, Archimandrite Claudius, hosted the Prelatic retinue to lunch.
From the Secretariat-General