THE FEAST OF THE EXALTATION AT THE HOLY CROSS MONASTERY OF JERUSALEM
On Sunday the 16th/29th of September 2013, the first Sunday after the feast of the Exaltation of the Venerable Cross, the universal Exaltation of the Venerable Cross was celebrated at the Monastery of the Holy Cross which lies in West Jerusalem, next to the Jewish House of Parliament, on the site where according to church tradition, Lot, Abraham’s nephew, planted the tree of triplet seeding – pine, cedar and cypress. Timber from the same tree was used for the construction of the Temple of Solomon, and at a later time for the cross on which our Lord Jesus Christ was crucified for our salvation.
At this historical Monastery of the Patriarchate, once the seat of a Theological School (1845-1909) which offered the Church eminent clerics and Theologians, the divine Liturgy was held, led by His Eminence Demetrios, Archbishop of Lydda. Co-officiating were Hagiotaphite Hieromonks and deacons, whilst devout pilgrims from the Greek Parish and the Arab-speaking flock participated in piety.
At the conclusion of the divine Liturgy, the Hegoumen Archimandrite f. Claudius hosted a small reception for the Prelatic Retinue at the Hegoumen’s Quarters, whilst pilgrims were treated in the forecourt of the Holy Monastery.
From the Secretariat-General